During the year, we will tie our study into five main areas of language development: reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing. The language arts curriculum for this year will be closely tied with the annual Washington D.C. trip.
Throughout the year you, the student, will:
- Understand and use the writing process.
- Better understand and develop the Six Traits of Writing.
- Write using complete sentences and paragraphs, strong words and details, personal voice.
- Practice and use correct spelling, vocabulary, punctuation, and grammar in writing and speaking.
- Read for enjoyment.
- Read various genres of literature.
- Participate in large and small group discussions and assignments.
- Implement correct speaking skills into class presentations using the LMCS rubric.
- Consult resources such as dictionaires, thesauri, and Write Source 2000 to assist in assignments and projects.
8th Grade Language Arts Outcomes
Webquest Washington D.C.
Civil War Nameplates
Select and Reflect